Sunday, February 23, 2014

Honey Nut Butter Candy (Sugar Free!) - Recipe


For some time now I have been contemplating making my children some homemade candy.  In my search, I was able to find a few appealing recipes on Pintrest and had filed them away for "later".  

Since time is a commodity for me, I have this rule with recipes...if they do not involve three ingredients or less, I tend to either ignore them or put them in the back (waaay back) burner.   Well, a few days ago, my very cool neighbor mentioned that she recently made some good candy for her daughters using honey, peanut butter and vanilla.  My interested was piqued at the short ingredients list and I quickly asked her to send me the recipe.  Fast forward and in short order I had some really happy children in my home.  It was super easy, delicious and so gratifying to know it had REAL wholesome ingredients.  With candy this good you don't mind them having a treat once in a while.

I am certain this recipe can be tweeked in so many ways.  In fact, I will be making more soon and I am already thinking of how I can make this taste like salt water toffee (which I love!).  Hmmm.

Below is the recipe as it was emailed to me.  I am not sure what blog my neighbor got the recipe from as I received it from her in text form .  Once I find out I will include it on this post.  For now, it should be noted that the cookbook Grain Free Gourmet is mentioned as inspiration for the recipe.  

I altered a few things which are noted in red.  I sure hope you try it for your little ones or yourself and let me know how you like it. 



Honey Nut Butter Candy

This first easy honey candy recipe is inspired by “Glass Candy” from the cookbook Grain Free Gourmet by Jodi Bager and Jenny Lass. I love their cookbooks and highly recommend anyone that wants to cook grain-free and refined-sugar-free own a copy of both! Mine are well worn and worth every penny I spent and then some!
  • 1 cup honey (I used raw honey from a local source)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract ( I used organic vanilla bean paste)
  • 1/4 cup nut butter (I used organic almond butter here, you can also use peanut butter, cashew butter, sunbutter, etc)
Pour the honey into a heavy saucepan. Place pan over medium heat until mixture starts to boil. Adjust the heat lower if needed and let boil until honey reaches 300 degrees F (hard crack stage.) This takes around twenty minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla and nut butter. Stir thoroughly then immediately pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in freezer or refrigerator to cool. Once completely chilled, break into long strips, then break those again into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Store in freezer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment