Thursday, December 5, 2013

Our Shed Adventures!


I am now convinced more than ever that Pintrest is a very dangerous place.  Like most, I have a great collection of photos that serve as inspiration for many things. 

Before we moved into our farm house, I expressed to my husband how nice it would be for me to have a space just for my soap making and crafting... you know, like a "soaping studio".  Sounds nice doesn't it?  I could see it clearly with my mind's eye, and Pintrest was going to help me him make it happen:  a modest and simple soaping shed with electricity and running water, just feet away from our home, where I could escape to and spend hours upon hours lost in my creative flow.

I now present to you "Exhibit A"!... my Pintrest inspiration:

Isn't it adorable?  Can you blame me for wanting THAT... or something similar? 

It just so happens that there are two decent-sized outbuildings on our farm that could lend themselves to such an endeavor.  Well, so I thought.  It has only been a week, and while I do have complete trust in my husband's abilities, from the look of things, I might end up with something shall we say completely different a bit less ambitious.  To my husband's credit, he has tackled this project with the utmost enthusiasm (even working late nights to get it done).  Yet, it has turned out to be a bit more involved than we had hoped for.  By day 2, I think he began to grasp just what I had gotten him into: the poor man had to dismantle all floor (and wall) boards in order to straighten the structure out because it was caving in so badly.  I felt SO guilty that I was almost tempted to suggest that we call it a day and go to the local Amish store to order one of their amazing pre-built sheds.  But aside from the cost, doing that would totally betray our purpose to live a more sustainable life-style... right?  Right.

In retrospect, from where I was standing it sure did look simple enough; clean out the shed, spruce it up with paint, add shelving and make a few other adjustments.  The most significant adjustments being the adding of electricity and a re-purposed outdoor sink like this one (yep... you guessed it... Pintrest again!):
He is working really hard to make an old dilapidated structure functional.  If you think I am exaggerating, take a look at what I am he is working with. Enter "Exhibit B"... the dilapidated shed:
  So, am I exaggerating?  Am I really?



Aside from what the photos reveal, it is  a real solid structure  I want to convince myself that it is a solid structure.  Really, it is.  And I have witnessed some miracles in construction work and home improvement projects.  I know that where there are "good bones" there is potential.  In fact, our farm house is a classic example of that.



At this point, I really wish I had amazing "after" photos to share with you (like those perfect ones from my Pintrest inspiration board), but  I don't.  It is still very much a work in progress, so you will just have to wait in suspense along with me for the finished product.  And even though these photos may not be as inspiring, I do have faith that it will turn out just perfect... for us.  And the truth is that even if I don't end up with a shed REMOTELY similar to the one on my Pintrest inspiration board, I am so grateful for his efforts in wanting to give me my very own sanctuary -  a space where I can work undisturbed.  The fact that we have a VERY long to do list around here, yet he has put everything else aside to do this,  means the world to me.  He's definitely a keeper. :-)

There are many things that I can do around the house without the help of my husband but I am realizing how much more I need to step my game up in order to assist him in accomplishing the things we want to accomplish together.  I can use a power drill and a few other tools just fine but when it comes to measuring and cutting, I am really challenged.  I will be the first to confess that in my next life I want to be a carpentress (yes I just made that word up).  I really, really do!  It is my humble opinion that carpenters rule!

I would love to hear what skills you have developed out of your desire to be more self-sufficient!Please do share!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment